- Region: Niagara Region
- State: New York
- Country: United States
- Listed: February 16, 2021 4:55 pm
- Expires: 20 days, 5 hours
Arrowhead Spring Vineyards is looking for a talented and energetic individual to be our full-time Winemaker. The ideal candidate will be a skilled and capable winemaker, creative and enthusiastic, with the desire to grow this strong family business to the next level of terroir-driven quality in an exciting, up-and-coming region. You should be comfortable in a hands-on leadership position, able to manage the production schedule and operate in a dynamic environment where priorities can shift based on factors like the weather (snow in the vineyard is not uncommon). You should have a passion for producing high-quality, cool-climate wines, and a desire to join a team that is passionate about sustainability and the potential and diversity of New York’s Niagara Escarpment AVA. This is an opportunity to take a key role in a growing winery with a reputation for high-quality wines. We currently produce 4,000 cases per year, and are well positioned for growth in the next 10 years as new vineyards come on-line.
About our Winery
Arrowhead Spring Vineyards is located in the Niagara Escarpment AVA just outside of Lockport, NY. The climate is the second warmest in NY State, moderated by Lake Ontario and the Niagara Escarpment with plenty of long sunny summer days to ripen fruit. Arrowhead Spring Vineyards is on the West Coast of NY State, 450 miles from NY City (essentially the opposite end of the state) and 45 miles southeast of Toronto, Canada. The City of Buffalo, NY is a 35 minute drive, we are 25 minutes east of Niagara Falls, which is a source of tourism visits (8 million people visit Niagara Falls each year when it isn’t a pandemic). We have been making and selling wine for more 15 years and completed a new 14,000 sq-ft wine-making facility in 2019. The facility dedicates 3,000 sq-ft to barrels with a 4,000 sq-ft processing and storage area.
We maintain the philosophy that great wine starts in the vineyards. Mechanical under-vine tillage, leaf removal, shoot thinning and balanced pruning all lead to grapes that are flavorful, balanced and optimized for winemaking. Traditional wine making methods and a 2 year barrel aging program are employed to create wine reflective of our cool terroir, with minimal intervention. We produce wines from our 26 acre estate vineyard Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Syrah, Chardonnay, as well as grapes purchased from local growers. We will be planting an additional 10 acres in 2022. Our wines reflect the terroir of the region with it’s limestone based soils and long summer days.
Job Description: Winemaker
The Winemaker will be responsible for the day-to-day cellar operations and for all wines (red, white and dessert). This is a hands on leadership position for a person who is self-directing and motivated. The role will oversee all cellar operations at the estate winery including: receiving grapes, crushing, additions, monitoring fermentations, racking, barrel care, filling, transfers, blending, preparation for bottling and bottling. The Winemaker is responsible for cellar sanitation, routine equipment maintenance, supply ordering and managing the supply inventory. This position will also develop, update and maintain cellar and winemaking SOP’s. While primarily focused in the winery, there will be times when work will need to be done in the vineyards.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Viticulture and Enology, Grape and Wine Technology, or equivalent experience.
• Proven understanding of quality winemaking production practices.
• Proven understanding of viticultural practices.
• Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and able to operate a vehicle with a manual transmission.
• Detail-oriented work habits and strong organization skills required.
• Ability to keep and update records in wine management software.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Physical ability to move barrels as well as the typical physical demands of cellar and winery production work (ability to lift 50 pounds, and 35 pound cases of wine repeatedly)
• An understanding of and ability to run standard winemaking lab tests, such as Dissolved Oxygen, TA, PH, SO2 along with sensory evaluation.
• Ability to use test results to determine chemical additions for winemaking tasks, such as SO2 and fining.
• Experience presenting information and responding to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, peer wineries and the general public.
• Ability to use a PC with proficiency in Windows Outlook, Word, Excel, and web based research.
• Proven problem solver.
• Some mechanical ability to troubleshoot minor equipment issues.
• Ability to operate Fork Lift and Tractors
• Other duties as assigned
50 total views, 2 today
Popular Ads Overall
- 2005 Swift Multiton EMC 22 electric 24V pallet truck walk behind (127082 views)
- 6 Used Plastic 250 Gal Fermenting Tanks (95024 views)
- Cella-Stack Bottle storage racks (91064 views)
- New Holland 918H Flail mower (711 views)
- Riesling juice (262 views)
- 2019 FLX Cayuga (137 views)
- Fischer GL4/180 Under Vine Mower with extra set of blades (130 views)
- 2019 FLX Dry Riesling (108 views)
- Brillion SCPH-33 Subsoiler Chisel Plow (87 views)
- 3x Felco Electric Pruning Shears and 1x Tying Tool (76 views)